Datta Family Scholarships
The Datta Family 10th Anniversary Scholarship was established in May 2006 by Chander and Anju Datta, principal founding sponsors of the Cantabile Choirs of Kingston. The scholarships will be awarded to graduating or former members of the Cantabile Youth Singers (Young Women’s Choir or Young Men’s Chorus) who will be enrolled in music education or music performance at a post-secondary institution at either the undergraduate or graduate level.
Who is Eligible?
Applicants must have been a member of the Cantabile Youth Singers for a minimum of two years including their last year of high school.
These scholarships will be presented consistent with the following guidelines:
- a) Graduating Scholarships: One or two graduating scholarship(s) with a maximum value of $1,000 in recognition of outstanding commitment and leadership in the Cantabile Youth Singers. Recipients must be in their final year of high school and planning to pursue music education or music performance at college or university.
- b) Post-Secondary Scholarship: One or two post-secondary scholarship(s) of $1,000-$3,000 (amount to be determined at the discretion of the selection committee and subject to funding) to a former chorister who is pursuing music performance or music education at the post-secondary level (graduate or undergraduate). Candidates must currently be enrolled in a college or university programme in music performance or music education. The amount will vary depending upon to the number of years served by the chorister in the programme (maximum of $3,000 for six years, maximum of $2,000 for four years, maximum of $1,000 for minimum of two years.)
Candidates must submit a completed application post-marked on or before May 1, 2017. The application must include:
- a completed application form,
- a brief essay,
- two letters of reference,
- high school transcript and University transcript if applicable.
- Download the Datta Family Scholarship 2017 Guidelines
- Download the Datta Scholarship application 2017
Completed applications should be sent to the Cantabile Choirs of Kingston, P.O. Box 2273, Kingston ON K7L 5J9.
Selection of the recipients will be made according to the following criteria:
- Demonstrated significant commitment, contribution, and leadership to Cantabile during his/her tenure in the choir.
- Consideration will also be given to the current role of music in the applicant’s life and the expected role music will have in his/her future.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not received the scholarship previously.
- If in any year there are insufficient candidates who satisfy the selection criteria scholarships may not be granted.
- The selection committee will consist of the following members: a Board member appointed by the Board of Directors, the Artistic Director, and one member-at-large from outside the Cantabile organization.
- Selection will be made prior to the final concert of the season (usually held the week after the Victoria Day weekend. The announcement of the recipient will occur at the final concert on May 28th, 2016Datta-Scholarship-application-2016 at Sydenham Street United Church, Kingston ON.
Questions? Call us at 613 549 0099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org